Sunday, June 7, 2009

Twenty years from now you will be
more disappointed by the things
you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
MARK TWAIN

Hmm…where do I start? First, I want to apologize that the form of cyber space is the only way I am attempting to connect with some of you. Secondly, I truly hope that this opens up a doorway with those of you that I have lost touch with over time (since I don't have facebook, I feel a little out of the loop). I look forward to mutual efforts in keeping in touch with each and everyone of you! I will start with a quick overview of where I am at and what I am doing. I am living in North Central Washington in the small town of Chelan. A community of about 4,000 in the winter and during the peak season of Lake goers and Vineyard crawlers (I do not believe that is the proper term) it feels like 10,000. The peak season provides a great business for everything the farm provides. An organic vegetable farm, fruit trees, grapes, an on-site road side market with produce from the farm plus othe local artisan products and a winery. All this nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains along side a 55 mile lake, of course called Lake Chelan. Although I am tempted to go on about the geography and the economy of this area as it has a lot to do with why I am here...farming. I will let you check out The Sunshine Farm Market website http://www.sunshinefarmmarket.com/ .

Farming...so yes I am at it again, no it was not just a hobby of mine that I only wanted to check out for one growing season...it has now become my everyday, from 5/5:30 in the morning until I lie my head down in the evening (which never seems early enough). I am working as a "field manager" on about 2-3.5 acres of land which provides a diverse number of veggies to the market on site, a 40 person CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and a couple restaurants in town. We have a 90' by 30' high tunnel (meaning it is similiar to what you would think of as a greenhouse but has no temperature control system other then the roll up sides and the retractable end walls) and a 40' by 20' greenhouse where we do all of our propagating (picture of early season plant starts with Nellie, Thanks to Nellie and Seth for all my images of the farm as I have not been persistent with the photography).


Well this is my first attempt...soon to be posted...updates with tips from the field (easily adapted to a small backyard garden) to the kitchen... And of course just words and thoughts that weigh heavy on my mind while I spend a good number of hours of weeding...

2 comments:

  1. Looks sooo beautiful!! Look forward to following your season - wish I had that satellite like Pollock Point does to be online with you this summer! (well - no, not sure if I really do want to be connected, but some things I do miss - a handwritten card will have to do huh?) If things go as they should, neither of us should have time to be online too much!!Wishing you the best - Your Alaskan Fish Harvesting Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeahyeahyeah! i am very glad that you have jumped on the blog-bandwagon. we will love following your beautiful words and images. you are such a wonderful soul.....know that i love you lots.....

    ReplyDelete